Ah, March – the season of transition. As we say goodbye to the cold winter and look forward to the blossoming flowers of spring, I find myself craving something sweet and comforting. That’s when I turn to one of my family’s favorite dessert recipes: Spiced Apple Bread Pudding. It’s the perfect blend of warm cinnamon and cloves, with tender apples and a rich custard base. Not only does it taste heavenly, but it fills the house with the most delightful aroma.
Whenever I make this dessert, I’m reminded of a lovely March day several years ago when Emily and Nick were helping me in the kitchen. Emily was carefully peeling apples while Nick whisked the eggs with a gleeful smile. They were chatting and giggling, and I remember feeling so grateful for these special moments spent together as a family.
This Spiced Apple Bread Pudding is not only delicious, but it’s also incredibly easy to make. Just follow these simple tips to ensure a perfect result every time:
1. Choose a firm apple variety like Granny Smith or Honeycrisp for best results – they hold their shape better during baking.
2. Don’t forget to let the bread cubes sit out overnight or use slightly stale bread – this helps them absorb the custard mixture better.
3. Be sure to whisk the eggs and sugar together until smooth – this will give your bread pudding a silky, luscious texture.
Now, without further ado, here’s my beloved Spiced Apple Bread Pudding recipe:
– 6 cups cubed bread (preferably day-old or slightly stale)
– 4 large eggs
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 2 cups whole milk
– 1 cup heavy cream
– 1 tbsp vanilla extract
– 2 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp ground cloves
– 3 large apples, peeled and chopped
– 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
2. Spread the cubed bread evenly in the prepared baking dish.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until smooth and well combined.
4. Gradually whisk in the milk, heavy cream, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and cloves. Continue whisking until thoroughly combined.
5. Stir in the chopped apples and raisins (if using).
6. Carefully pour the custard mixture over the bread cubes, ensuring that all of the bread is evenly coated.
7. Let the bread pudding sit for about 15 minutes to allow the bread to absorb some of the custard mixture.
8. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the pudding is set and golden brown on top.
9. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
This Spiced Apple Bread Pudding is best enjoyed warm, perhaps with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a drizzle of caramel sauce. It’s truly a dessert that warms both your heart and your taste buds. I hope you enjoy making and sharing it with your loved ones as much as we do!