Today, I wanted to share a quick and easy dinner recipe that has become a favorite in our household. It’s perfect for those busy weeknights when you need to get dinner on the table fast, but still want a delicious and nutritious meal.
This recipe is particularly special to me because it reminds me of my son Jake. As many of you know, Jake is a busy 15-year-old who is passionate about playing Fortnite and excelling on his high school’s varsity lacrosse team. With his demanding schedule, it’s important for him to have meals that will fuel him up and keep him going.
One evening, I was trying to come up with something new and exciting for dinner. I wanted to create a dish that would satisfy Jake’s taste buds as well as provide him with the energy he needed for his activities. That’s when I came up with this wonderful Sweet and Savory Chicken Stir-Fry!
The secret ingredient that makes this dish stand out is a touch of sugar. It adds just the right amount of sweetness to balance out the savory flavors in the stir-fry. Trust me, your family will be asking for seconds!
Here are some tips before we dive into the recipe:
1. Prep your ingredients in advance – this will make the cooking process much smoother.
2. Use a non-stick pan or wok if you have one – it will make it easier to stir-fry without burning the ingredients.
3. Feel free to customize this recipe with other vegetables your family loves – adding some colorful bell peppers or broccoli can be a great way to sneak in extra nutrients!
Now, let’s get cooking!
Sweet and Savory Chicken Stir-Fry
– 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 1 onion, thinly sliced
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 cups snap peas or green beans
– 1 cup carrots, julienned
– 1/4 cup soy sauce
– 2 tablespoons sugar
– 1 tablespoon cornstarch
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– Optional garnish: chopped scallions and sesame seeds
1. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sugar, and cornstarch. Set aside.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
3. Add chicken strips to the pan, seasoning with salt and pepper. Cook for about 4-5 minutes until browned and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
4. In the same pan, add onions and cook for 2 minutes until they start to soften.
5. Add garlic, snap peas (or green beans), and carrots to the pan. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes until vegetables are tender but still slightly crunchy.
6. Return the cooked chicken to the pan with the vegetables.
7. Pour the soy sauce mixture over the chicken and vegetables, stirring well to combine.
8. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
9. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
10. Serve over rice or noodles, garnishing with chopped scallions and sesame seeds if desired.
And there you have it! A delicious and easy dinner recipe that your whole family will enjoy. I hope this Sweet and Savory Chicken Stir-Fry becomes a favorite in your home too! Happy cooking!