Hello, lovely readers! March is here, and with it comes the hope of warmer temperatures and the return of fresh, in-season fruits. Now, I know that strawberries aren’t quite at their peak yet, but I just couldn’t resist when I saw them at our local farmers market last weekend. My daughter Emily absolutely adores strawberries, so I decided to whip up a special breakfast treat for us to enjoy together before heading off to her piano lesson.
You see, Emily has been working so hard lately, practicing for her upcoming recital. I am continually amazed by her dedication and talent. I wanted to show my appreciation and support by creating this delightful breakfast dish that incorporates her favorite fruit: Strawberries and Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast! This recipe is not only scrumptious but also brings back fond memories of our summer vacations spent picking strawberries at a nearby farm. Those were such precious moments that I’ll cherish forever.
Now, let’s talk about this mouthwatering recipe. The key to making perfect Stuffed French Toast is using just the right amount of cream cheese and strawberries – you want a good balance between the two. I also recommend using day-old bread, as it soaks up the egg mixture better and results in a fluffier, more delicious French toast.
So, without further ado, here’s the recipe for Strawberries and Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast:
– 8 slices of day-old bread (I prefer brioche or challah)
– 1 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
– 8 oz cream cheese, softened
– 4 large eggs
– 1 cup milk
– 1/4 cup granulated sugar
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/4 tsp cinnamon
– Pinch of salt
– Butter or non-stick spray for cooking
– Powdered sugar and maple syrup for serving
1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the softened cream cheese with half of the sugar (1/8 cup). Mix until creamy and smooth. Gently fold in the sliced strawberries.
2. Spread a generous layer of the cream cheese mixture onto four slices of bread, then top each with a remaining slice of bread to make four “sandwiches.”
3. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, remaining sugar (1/8 cup), vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt.
4. Preheat a large non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Grease with butter or non-stick spray.
5. Carefully dip each “sandwich” into the egg mixture, allowing it to soak for a few seconds on each side.
6. Cook the French toast on the preheated skillet or griddle for about 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown and crispy.
7. Transfer the cooked French toast to plates, dust with powdered sugar, and drizzle with maple syrup.
Emily was overjoyed when I surprised her with this scrumptious breakfast, and we had such a lovely time enjoying it together before she headed off to practice her piano pieces. This recipe has now become one of our family favorites and a go-to for special occasions or whenever we want to celebrate life’s little victories.
I hope you all give this Strawberries and Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast a try! It’s a guaranteed hit with kids and adults alike. Happy cooking!