As the days are getting longer and the weather slowly warms up, I can’t help but reminisce about those lovely March afternoons when little Nick would come home from school, his cheeks rosy from the brisk air, and ask for a special treat to warm him up. One of his absolute favorites is my Spiced Apple Crisp with a hint of cloves. The warmth and aroma of this delightful dessert never fail to fill our home with cozy feelings, making it a staple in the Janssen household during early spring.
This scrumptious dessert has become a bonding experience for Nick and me, as he loves helping me peel and slice the apples while we chat about his day at school or his latest Lego creation. It’s these special moments that remind me of the magic of motherhood and the importance of spending quality time with our little ones.
The secret to this Spiced Apple Crisp lies in the combination of spices – cinnamon, nutmeg, and a hint of cloves, which adds a unique depth of flavor. Don’t be afraid to experiment with the amount of cloves, as a little goes a long way! Now, let’s get to the recipe so you can create your own heartwarming memories with your family.
Spiced Apple Crisp with a Hint of Cloves
– 6 cups thinly sliced apples (I prefer Granny Smith for their tartness)
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
– 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
– 1/4 tsp ground cloves
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, toss the sliced apples with the granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Spread the apple mixture evenly in the prepared baking dish.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining flour, rolled oats, remaining cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Cut in the softened butter using a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. If you find it too dry, add a little more butter.
4. Sprinkle the spiced oat topping evenly over the apples.
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the apples are tender and the topping is golden brown. Allow the crisp to cool slightly before serving.
Serve this Spiced Apple Crisp warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream, and watch as your family’s faces light up with joy. This dessert is not only delicious but also a fantastic way to create lasting memories with your loved ones.
So, my dear friends, gather your family around and indulge in this heavenly Spiced Apple Crisp as you share stories, laughter, and love with one another. Happy baking!