Hello dear readers! March is finally here, and I can’t help but be excited for the warmer days ahead. Today, I want to share with you a breakfast recipe that is near and dear to my heart. It’s a delightful Walnut and Date Oatmeal that has a special place in our family’s morning routine.
Just last week, my talented pianist daughter Emily had her first solo recital at school. She was incredibly nervous, and the night before, she could hardly sleep. I knew I needed to make her a comforting and nutritious breakfast to help calm her nerves and give her the energy she needed for her big performance. That’s when I thought of making this oatmeal, packed with walnuts and dates for that extra boost of nutrition and heartiness.
This recipe is not only delicious but also super easy to make, which is perfect for those busy weekday mornings. The combination of heart-healthy walnuts, sweet dates, and creamy oatmeal makes for a satisfying and wholesome breakfast that the whole family will love. So, without further ado, let’s get started on this scrumptious Walnut and Date Oatmeal!
Walnut and Date Oatmeal
– 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
– 2 cups water
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
– 1/2 cup chopped dates
– 1/4 cup brown sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 1 cup milk (or almond milk for a dairy-free option)
– Additional walnuts and dates for garnish (optional)
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the rolled oats, water, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
2. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the oats are tender and have absorbed most of the water.
3. While the oats are cooking, toast the walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until fragrant, stirring frequently. Be sure to keep an eye on them as they can burn quickly. Set aside.
4. Stir in the toasted walnuts, chopped dates, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg into the cooked oatmeal. Cook for another 1-2 minutes to let the flavors meld together.
5. Add in the milk and stir well to combine. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until heated through.
6. Serve the oatmeal in bowls, garnished with additional walnuts and dates if desired.
And there you have it, a comforting and wholesome breakfast perfect for those busy mornings or special occasions! I hope you give this Walnut and Date Oatmeal a try and let me know how your family enjoys it. Remember, it’s those little moments around the breakfast table that create lasting memories. Happy cooking!