Hello, my lovely readers! As the chilly winter days are slowly transitioning into the freshness of spring, I wanted to share with you one of my favorite dessert recipes that brings a touch of warmth and sunshine into our home. This delectable dessert is a big hit with my children, particularly my youngest, Nick. Oh, that boy has quite the sweet tooth!
I remember one cozy March afternoon, Nick came home after a long day of school and sailing practice, and his eyes lit up as he caught a whiff of this heavenly dessert coming from the kitchen. He couldn’t help but exclaim, “Mom, are you making the Basil-Infused Lemon Bars?!” It truly warmed my heart to see his excitement and appreciation. We spent the rest of the evening enjoying these delightful treats together while listening to Emily play the piano in the background. Such a precious memory I will always cherish.
These Basil-Infused Lemon Bars are not only delicious, but they also have a unique twist with the use of basil in the crust. Trust me, my dear readers, this combination of flavors will have your family asking for seconds! So without further ado, let’s get to the recipe:
**Basil-Infused Lemon Bars**
_For the Basil Shortbread Crust:_
– 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
_For the Lemon Filling:_
– 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
– 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 4 large eggs
– 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3-4 lemons)
– Zest of two lemons
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, allowing it to overhang on the sides for easy removal.
2. In a food processor, combine the basil leaves and 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Pulse until the basil is finely chopped and incorporated into the sugar.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and basil-infused sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add in the flour and salt, mixing until a dough forms.
4. Press the dough evenly into the prepared baking pan. Bake the crust for 15-20 minutes, or until it is lightly golden. Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly while you prepare the lemon filling.
5. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar and flour. Add in the eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest, and mix until fully combined.
6. Pour the lemon filling over the baked crust, ensuring it is evenly distributed.
7. Bake the bars for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until the filling is set and not jiggly in the center.
8. Allow the bars to cool completely at room temperature before placing them in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours. Once chilled, use the parchment paper to lift the bars out of the pan, and cut them into squares.
9. Serve these delightful Basil-Infused Lemon Bars to your family and watch their faces light up with joy!
I hope this recipe brings as much happiness to your home as it does to mine! Do let me know how it turns out, and I can’t wait to share more heartwarming stories and scrumptious recipes with all of you. Until next time!