Hello, dear readers! Spring is finally here, and April’s showers are bringing a burst of color to our garden. I just love this time of year. The other day, as I was watching my youngest, Nick, playing with his Lego creations on the living room floor, I couldn’t help but notice how much he’s grown. Time sure flies when you’re having fun! Speaking of fun, Nick absolutely adores eating his mom’s homemade cookies, but this week I decided to surprise him with a sweet and savory twist on our family dinner.
I knew I wanted to incorporate Nick’s favorite ingredient – barbecue sauce – into our meal. After some brainstorming, I came up with the perfect dish: Barbecue Chicken Flatbreads. These scrumptious flatbreads are easy to make and a surefire hit with the entire family. Plus, they’re a fantastic way to sneak in some veggies for those little picky eaters!
Before we dive into the recipe, here are a few tips to make your dinner extra special: First, you can use store-bought flatbreads or naan bread for convenience, but if you’re feeling adventurous, try making your own dough. It’s easier than you think and makes all the difference in taste! Second, don’t forget to preheat your oven to ensure a perfectly crispy crust.
Now, let’s get started on our Barbecue Chicken Flatbreads!
– 4 flatbreads or naan bread
– 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (rotisserie chicken works wonders)
– 1 cup barbecue sauce (choose your family’s favorite)
– 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
– 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
– 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
– 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
– 1/2 cup canned corn, drained
– 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
– Olive oil
1. Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the shredded chicken and barbecue sauce, mixing well to coat the chicken evenly.
3. Place the flatbreads or naan bread on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly brush each bread with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder.
4. Evenly distribute the barbecue chicken mixture over each flatbread. Top with both types of cheese, red onion slices, and corn.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly, and the edges of the flatbreads are golden brown.
6. Remove from the oven and let cool for a minute or two. Then, sprinkle the chopped cilantro over the top.
7. Slice each flatbread into pieces and serve immediately. Enjoy!
As we sat down to enjoy our Barbecue Chicken Flatbreads, Nick’s eyes lit up when he took his first bite. He even asked for seconds! It’s moments like these that make all the time spent in the kitchen worthwhile. I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as mine did! Until next time, happy cooking!