Hello, my fellow food enthusiasts! April has finally arrived, and with it comes the promise of warmer weather and beautiful blooms. This month also brings us to lacrosse season, and as you all know, my son Jake is a star on his high school’s varsity lacrosse team. Recently, I found myself reminiscing about the countless mornings when I would prepare breakfast for Jake before his early morning practices. He needed something that was both nutritious and delicious to fuel him throughout the day, and that’s when I came up with this delightful Ricotta Pancake recipe.
Now, you might be wondering how I came to incorporate ricotta cheese into pancakes. Well, one day, while preparing lasagna for dinner, I had some leftover ricotta cheese and thought, “Why not give it a try?” The result was nothing short of amazing! These pancakes are light, fluffy, and have a hint of creaminess from the ricotta cheese that makes them truly special. I love to serve them with some fresh fruit and a dollop of whipped cream for a truly indulgent treat.
Before we dive into the recipe, here are some tips to make these pancakes even more memorable:
1. Make sure to use whole milk ricotta cheese for the best texture and flavor.
2. If you’re feeling adventurous, try adding some lemon zest or vanilla extract to the batter for an extra touch of brightness.
3. Don’t overmix the batter – a few lumps are perfectly fine and will ensure your pancakes stay tender and fluffy.
Now, without further ado, here’s the recipe for my scrumptious Ricotta Pancakes:
– 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 2 large eggs, separated
– 3/4 cup whole milk
– 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
– Optional: lemon zest or vanilla extract
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, egg yolks, milk, and sugar. If using lemon zest or vanilla extract, add it to this mixture.
3. Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring gently until just combined. Do not overmix.
4. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter, taking care not to deflate them.
5. Preheat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Lightly grease with butter or cooking spray.
6. Pour 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake onto the preheated surface. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface and the edges start to look set, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
7. Serve your fluffy ricotta pancakes warm with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
I hope this recipe brings as much joy to your family’s breakfast table as it has to ours. As I watch Jake excel on the lacrosse field, I can’t help but think that these Ricotta Pancakes might have played a small part in his success. Remember, sometimes it’s the little things in life – like a delicious breakfast – that can make all the difference.
Wishing you all a wonderful April filled with love, laughter, and scrumptious meals!