Hello, fellow dessert enthusiasts! May is such a lovely month, with spring in full bloom and the anticipation of summer just around the corner. And with warmer weather comes lighter, more refreshing desserts. I recently found myself reminiscing about a particular dessert that my daughter Emily absolutely adores – Lemon Cashew Bars. These delightful treats combine tangy lemon, creamy cashew butter, and a rich, crumbly crust that will have your taste buds singing with joy.
I remember the first time I made these Lemon Cashew Bars for Emily. She had been practicing her piano recital piece for weeks, and I could see the determination in her eyes as she perfected each note. After a long day of practice, I surprised her with these bars, and the smile on her face was simply priceless. Since then, it has become one of our family’s favorite desserts to enjoy together.
Now, let’s get to the recipe! These bars are incredibly easy to make and require only a handful of ingredients. The crust is made from a simple combination of graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar, while the filling is a delightful blend of cream cheese, cashew butter, lemon zest, and lemon juice. And for an extra touch of sweetness, I like to sprinkle powdered sugar on top just before serving.
Lemon Cashew Bars
– 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
– ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
– ¼ cup granulated sugar
– 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
– ½ cup cashew butter
– ¼ cup granulated sugar
– Zest of 1 lemon
– 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
– Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper, allowing the edges to overhang for easy removal.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
3. Bake the crust for 8-10 minutes, until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly while you prepare the filling.
4. In a large bowl, beat together the softened cream cheese, cashew butter, and sugar until smooth and creamy. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice, and mix until well combined.
5. Pour the filling over the cooled crust, spreading it evenly with a spatula.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the edges are set and slightly golden, but the center is still slightly jiggly.
7. Cool the Lemon Cashew Bars completely in the pan on a wire rack before transferring them to the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
8. When ready to serve, lift the bars out of the pan using the parchment paper overhang and slice into squares. If desired, dust with powdered sugar for a beautiful finishing touch.
These Lemon Cashew Bars are perfect for sharing with family and friends during those warm spring afternoons or as an after-dinner delight! Enjoy, and happy baking!