One of my favorite recipes to make for my kids is a hearty and delicious baked mac and cheese. It’s the perfect comfort food that always hits the spot, especially on a chilly winter evening.
I remember the first time I made this recipe for my son Jake. He had just come home from a long day of lacrosse practice and was starving. As soon as he walked into the kitchen and saw the bubbling dish of mac and cheese, his eyes lit up and he couldn’t wait to dig in.
As we sat down to eat, Jake started telling me all about his day and how he was feeling. It was a special moment of connection between us, and I realized that cooking for my family isn’t just about feeding them – it’s about creating memories and moments of togetherness.
Now, every time I make this baked mac and cheese, it brings back that memory of Jake and I sitting together at the dinner table. And I hope that my other children will have similar memories to cherish in the years to come.
Here are a few tips for making this recipe:
– Use a good quality cheddar cheese for the best flavor.
– Don’t overcook the pasta – it should still be slightly firm when you drain it.
– For a little extra kick, add a tablespoon of Dijon mustard to the cheese sauce.
Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe:
– 1 pound elbow macaroni
– 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
– 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 2 cups whole milk
– 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– Optional: 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Cook the macaroni according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
4. Whisk in the flour until smooth.
5. Gradually whisk in the milk until the mixture is smooth.
6. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens and comes to a simmer.
7. Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until melted and smooth.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste (and mustard, if using).
9. Add the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir until well coated.
10. Transfer the mixture to a 9×13 inch baking dish.
11. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown on top.
12. Serve hot and enjoy!